There IS more than just wheat
Wheat is a healthy grain and a good source of B-vitamins and several minerals. As with any aspect of diet, it is beneficial to add variety to your diet with different grains. The reason for this is two-fold: first is that each grain has a different nutrient profile so you will get different nutrients, second is that it prevents food sensitivities from forming.
Organic Merchants offers a wide variety of grains that you can integrate into your diet. Increasing grain consumption will increase fiber intake and improve digestive health and help to lower cholesterol.
- Hot cereal for breakfast is an easy and healthy way to start the day. Organic Merchants offers a 4-grain blend and an 8-grain blend. Add fresh fruit for a perk.
- Farro is an ancient grain that is similar to wheat and does contain gluten, in smaller amounts than wheat. It is an excellent source of protein, fiber and nutrients.
- Freekeh is made from green durum wheat that is harvested while the grains are yellow and seeds are still soft and then sun-dried. Then the grain is set on fire to remove the straw and chaff while the moist seed remains intact. Finally, it is threshed, sun-dried and cracked. Freekeh provides probiotics along with the other benefits of grains.
- Millet is actually a small-seeded grass that is commonly known as a bird seed but also has human benefits. It is a good source of trace minerals copper, phosphorus and manganese. The protein in millet is similar to wheat gluten so some with gluten sensitivities may not tolerate millet well.
- Puffed millet, amaranth and quinoa-Amaranth, like other grains, is a good source of protein, fiber, manganese, magnesium, iron and selenium. Amaranth is a gluten-free grain, and contains and higher content and variety of proteins than wheat.
- Quinoa and quinoa flakes-Also a gluten free grain, quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor that is quite good. It contains all of the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. It also is high in fiber.
- Rolled oats-Guaranteed gluten free from Organic Merchants, oats are well-known for their benefits for high cholesterol. Oats are also a good source of thiamin, phosphorus, magnesium and manganese.